TUES., WE HAD FLURRIES-NOTHING STUCK, BUT JESS WAS SOOO EXCITED!
I HAVE NOTIICED, OVER THE YRS., SOME COMMON MIS-CONCEPTIONS:
- U NEED 2 KNOW ASL 2 TALK 2 ME. BUT IF U KNOW ASL, DON’T SIGN 2 ME-I CAN HEAR & HAVE DOUBLE VISION, SO IT’S HARD 2 C! IF U DO NOT KNOW ASL, II CAN NOD YES/NO, SHRUG MY’ SHOULDER 4 ‘MAYBE,’ WAVE MY HAND 4 ‘SORTA’ OR ‘KINDA.’
- CING MY HAND MOVE, DOESN’T ALWAYS MEAN I’M TALKING-WHAT IF I ITCH?
- IF U ASK A # QUES., EXPECT A # ANSWER. #1-5 R EASY. THEY LOOK IT. I HATE SHOWING ‘4’ WHEN A # QUES. IS ASKED, HAVE SOME1 GUESS AN ASL ‘B,’ I SAY NO, SO ANOTHER LETTER IS GUESSED, SO SINCE A LETTER IS EXPECTED, I SPELL ‘FOUR.’
- I AM INCAPABLE OF MANY THINGS. U’D BE SURPRISED WHAT I CAN DO, & AS MY KIDS GROW UP, I CAN DO MORE. IT CAN BE A NICE BREAK WHEN MY CAREGIVER WAITS ON ME HAND & FOOT. HOWEVER, MARK HAS A LIFE–& SO I CAN BE ALONE. THAT CAUSEES ME 2 CHALLLENGE MYSELF & BE CREATIVE. 4 EX., MARK WAS HERE, BUT THOUGH I COULD QUICKLY GET MARK’S ATTENTION & HAVE AN EASIER TIME, I DECIDED 2 TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BEING ALONE: I WAS TIRED OF WAITING 2 C SOME CDS, SO I LEARNED 2 DO IT MYSELF! ANOTHER TIME, I LEARNED 2 USE MY KEYBOARD AS A WEIGHT, 2 GET KLEENEX OUT 2 WIPE MY NOSE. IT’S TONS FASTER 2 CLOSE A CD DRAWER ON MY COMP., SWITCH A LT. SWITCH, OR OPEN MY ELEVATOR DOOR IF SOME1 ELSE DOES IT-SOMETIMES MARK DOES. BUT I LIKE 2 TRY SOMETIMES -THESE R THINGS I CAN DO & OTHER THINGS I ONLY LEARN I CAN DO BY CHALLENGING MYSELF.
- I CAN’T BE MOM. AS THE KIDS GET OLDER, THIS CHANGES. ZACH READS MY ASL REAL WELL (EVEN FIA CAN READ HER NAME OR WORDS LIKE ‘STOP’ OR ‘SORRY’), JESS CAN READ (SO I TYPE), & FIA GUESSES MY DISCIPLINE AMAZINGLY WELL, SO I CAN ANSWER YES/NO. WE WATCH SHOWS, PLAY GAMES, ETC. FIA WAS YOUNG ENOUGH WHEN I STROKED, SHE DOESN’T KNOW ANY BETTER THAN HOW I COMFORT. IF MARK HAS A SPONTANEOUS REASON 2 LEAVE, WE HAVE A PHONE SYSTEM & I CAN REACH A PHONE ON BOTH FLOORS OF THE HOUSE. YES, SOMETIMES I WISH I COULD SAY OR DO MORE 4 THE KIDS, BUT I WANT 2 RAISE THEM! I’M STILL MOM! I CAN’T READ A BOOK, BUT THEY CAN SHOW ME PICTURES! I CAN LET OTHERS DO WHAT I CAN NOT.
- MY HOUSE IS MESSY. MY CAREGIVER HELPS (BUT ONLYY 2X/WK.-LITTLE KIDS REQUIRE DAILY ATTENTION), EVERY 2 WEEKS WE HAVE A CLEANER; BUT A HUGE PART IS I HAVE 2 BE SUPER ORGANIZED (LUCKILY, THAT’S ALWAYS BEEN A QUALITY OF MINE), MARK INSISTS MY KIDS RESPECT ME (MY FAV. PHRASE IS THAT THEY NEED 2 LISTEN 2 ME MORE THAN DAD; & THEY KNOW THE REPURCUSHION IS WORSE THAN IF THEY DIDN’T LISTEN 2 DAD), & MY KIDS R WELL-BEHAVED & MORE SELF-SUFFFICIENT & RESPONSIBLE THAN OTHER KIDS THEIR AGE.
- I ENJOY SOLUTUDE. UNFORTUNATELY, IT’S A NATURE OF THE CONDITION. I USE THE COMP. 2 COMMUNICATE, DO MY CHURCH CALLING, VISIT TEACH (CHURCH), READ/EDUCATE MYSELF, JOURNAL, SCRAPBOOK, ETC.-BASICALLY EVERYTHING! I DO OCCASIONALLY PREFER PRIVACY 2 DO SOME OF THE STUFF–SOME JOURNAL ENTRIES REQUIRE PRIVACY, & LIKEWISE EMAILS (SO I’M NOT INTERRUPTED B4 I FINISH A THOUGHT) & I TYPE SLOW (1 KEY AT A TIME). BESIDES, I PREFER NOT 2 SIT & DO NOTHING OR WATCH MINDLESS TV! ALSO, I CAN HAVE TONS OF HELP FROM OTHERS & STILL GET LONELY (IT’S NOT LIKE I EVER HAVE DEEP CONVERSATIONS-I CAN’T TYPE OR SIGN IT ALL) OR SAY SMALL SIDE-REMARKS (ESP. IF IT NEEDS PUNCTUATION OR VOICE INFLECTION). ALSO, I RARELY ENJOY GROUP (2 OR MORE) CONVERSATION, BECAUSE I AM OFTEN NOT SEEN SIGNING OR HEARD MAKING NOISE 4 ATTENTION (I REMEMBER BEING JEALOUS MY DEAF FRIENDS COULD GET ATTENTION BY MAKING NOISE). IN ADDITION, I CAN’T SAY A GREAT MAJORITY OF WHAT I THINK. IT INCREASES FRUSTRATION-OOFTEN IT’S NOT PLEASURABLE!
- I’M EASY 2 READ (W/MY EMOTIONS). HOWEVER, WHEN I THINK I’M SMILING MY BIGGEST, I APPEAR AS MAD AS CAN BE! WHEN I TRY HARD, I APPEAR MAD IT’S NOT DONE 4 ME-OTHERWISE, I TURN & LOOK LEFT, & PEOPLE THINK I C SOMETHING. OR, IF I’M HOWLING & CRYING, IT COULD BE A SIMPLE FRUSTRATION, WHICH EVERY1 EXPERIENCES, BUT IT APPEARS A HUGE DEAL!
- I HAVEN’T CHANGED FROM THE ‘JENNY’ I WAS PRE-STROKE. I AM STUCK IN A MOLD. MY SISTER, MISSY, HAD THIS HARDEST, AS SHE WAS THERE WHEN I 1ST CAME HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL, BUT I’VE ADAPTED SINCE THEN & HAVE HAD AMAZING AMOUNTS OF PATIENCE THRUST UPON ME! THE ‘JENNY’ I WAS PRE-STROKE IS BUILDING BLOCKS 2 THE ‘JENNY’ I AM NOW!
- I’M MENTALLY CHALLENGED. I’M SUPER SLOW (THE OTHER DAY I WAS PLAYING A GAME & IMMEDIATLY RECOGNIZED THE SONG THEY WANTED THE LAST WORDS 2, SO I BEGAN SINGING IT IN MY HEAD, BUT B4 I REACHED THE END, R TURN WAS OVER-I’M STILL KICKING MYSELF!) & HAD A BRAIN INJURY, BUT I HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE & TAUGHT EL. ED.
Jenny, I have been blessed to know you through my daughter Vanessa Rich Croshaw. From the day of your stroke until now, I have enjoyed reading about you and with you on your website. We have fasted and prayed for you and cried too! We have cried unhappily for what you have lost and shed equally joyful tears at all you have gained. You are an inspiration and a source of light for me personally as I struggle with chronic pain from a leg damaged by a blood clot. With lots of help from my doctors I am able to work and do most of the the things I want. When ever I feel down, I go to your site and read your words with great zest for life and love for your family. I am amazed at all you get done…scrapping no less! Good for you, while my pictures sist in piles and piles around my office. Yikes. I need to do better. I also know Kiera Hurley whom you will remember from YW in Indianapolis since she worked for me in the Center for Entrepreneurship when she came out to school at BYU. I also think I know your father from a visit he made to the Marriott School of Business to speak to students in our Entrepreneur Lecture Series. Is it Donald Yachtman (sp?)? Anyway, I want you to know that getting to know you on your site has been a blessing in my life. Much love and Happy New Year! It’s going to be our best yet! Linda Ottley Rich Mom of Vanessa 🙂